View My Stats

Selamat Datang!

Selamat Datang! Welcome to my blog on Malaysian kuih and food!

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Tau Cheong Sui (Soya Bean Milk)

I have been doing my own tau cheong sui for ages.  It is so easy to do your own soya milk.  I know some people who use soya milk machines, which are not cheap.  I use a blender, some cloth bags and mixing bowls.

The cost is minimal (1 packet of soya beans costs about $2.80) and you get good quality and fresh soya bean milk for the whole family.  Definitely no preservatives.  I know - last summer I left one batch overnight to cool down and it turned bad. And the best thing is you can control the sugar, unlike the ones that are store bought.



Tau Cheong Sui (Soya Bean Milk)

Ingredients:
500 gm soya beans
Water
Sugar
Pandan Leaves


Method:

 

1.      Soak soya beans using cold water for 4 to 8 hrs and if  
         using hot water 3 to 5 hrs.



2.      Drain off the water, take out the soya bean skins, where
         possible.



3.      Using blender, liquidify the soya beans with water and
         pass through a cloth bag.  I use the formula 1 cup of soya
         beans to 3 cups of water.  

   

4.      Use 2 layers of cloth bag to get a cleaner taste of soya
milk.



5.      Use a  stainless pot, cook the soya milk, stirring all the
time to prevent burning.  Add in pandan leaves, tied in a
knot.


6.      When it comes to full boil, let foam rise to top of pot and
quickly remove from fire.

7.      Remove the foam and return to fire and let it foam up
another 2 more times.

8.      Season with sugar to taste.  




9.      Refridgerate in bottles and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment