View My Stats

Selamat Datang!

Selamat Datang! Welcome to my blog on Malaysian kuih and food!

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Red Bean & Black Glutinous Rice Sweet Dessert

Suddenly I felt like eating this dessert, which is one of my all time favourites sweet dessert.  This is a variation of Bubur Pulut Hitam which is Black Glutinous Rice Dessert.  I love Red Bean Soup and Bubur Pulut Hitam.  So what a good deal - combining  both of them!  This way, I don't have to put on weight, eating 2 different sweet desserts.

I wish to point out that my photo  of this dessert is not the best.  I am using my Iphone to take the photos.  It's so much easier and convenient uploading photos to my netbook.  I will re-take the photos again.  Definitely I will be cooking this dessert again very, very soon.





Red Bean and Black Glutinous Rice Sweet Dessert


Ingredients
200 gm red beans
80 gm black glutinous rice
1/2 cup of Palm Sugar (Gula Melaka)
6 tablespoons white sugar
10 cups water
2 pandan leaves, knotted
1 cup coconut milk plus 1/2 teaspoon salt

Method

1.        Rinse the red beans and black glutinous rice with water thoroughly until
           the water turns clear.

2.        Add water and pandan leaves in a pot and bring it to boil. Add the red
           beans and black glutinous rice into the pot.  Cover the pot with its lid.

3.         When it boils again, reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour, or until beans 
            and glutinous rice softened, and the soup thickened. The longer you
            cook, the softer the beans, the thicker the soup.

4.         Keep checking the water level, if it has become too dry, add more
            water.

5.         Add in gula melaka and white sugar to taste. Stir until dissolved.

6.         Serve the dessert in small bowls topped with a spoonful of coconut 
            milk.



P.S.    If you are using a crock pot, put red beans, glutinous rice and water
           into crock pot.  Turn it to low (about 8 hours) and go to sleep.   If you 
           like it thicker, add less water.   Add sugar to taste.



No comments:

Post a Comment