View My Stats

Selamat Datang!

Selamat Datang! Welcome to my blog on Malaysian kuih and food!

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Yee Sang

Thank you to all foodies who have visited my blog.  Stats are showing that I have reached the 500 visitor mark.  To me, this is  a big achievement as I created this blog purely to share my love of food and my recipes.  Have any of you tried the recipes? I have tested and tweaked my recipes but would love to hear from any foodie who have tried them also.  Please send me your comments.

On the first day of CNY 2011, I tried out the recipe for Yee Sang or Lo Hei.  It was an amazing success.  Pretty similar to the ones sold in KL. 




Ingredients

1) 1 carrot, skin peeled
2) 1 small white radish (daikon), skin peeled
3) 1 cucumber
4)  2 tbsp Japanese red pickled ginger
5)  Turnip
6)  Coriander
7)  Pomelo peeled and sacs separated, about 50g
8)  Wonton skin

Garnish

1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
1 tbsp roasted peanuts, chopped finely
1 tsp Chinese 5-spice powder
1 tsp cinnamon powder
a small dash of Chinese white ground pepper
1 tbsp good quality extra virgin olive oil

Sauce

5 tbsp Chinese plum sauce
2 tbsp sesame oil
2 tbsp lime juice
1 tbsp apricot jam
2 tbsp honey

Method

1.  Grate carrot, white radish,  cucumber, papaya and turnip into long shreds. 
     Cut pickled ginger into long strips.

2.  Arrange all vegetables into a big round plate.

3.  Place garnish ingredients on top of vegetables.

4.  Mix sauce ingredients and pour it on top.


5.  Using chopsticks, mix and toss up ingredients as high as possible for  
     loads of  luck. 


Enjoy!




P.S.   I have not added fish as none of us like the fishy smell.  You can always
          add slices of salmon if you wish.

No comments:

Post a Comment