View My Stats

Selamat Datang!

Selamat Datang! Welcome to my blog on Malaysian kuih and food!

Friday, February 11, 2011

Jin Dui (Sesame Glutinous Balls)

Phew!  Just uploaded 2 recipes which were long overdue.  I had posted photos of them earlier on but did not have time to do up the recipes.

Been rather busy testing out new ones like this Jin Dui.  I recently found out that Hongkong Chinese like to have them during Chinese New Year, besides the normal yum cha time.  I don't remember Jin Dui during CNY in KL but rather at the markets for morning breakfast. 

Due to popular requests from my Hongkong friends, I had a go at the Jin dui recipe and found that it turned out pretty well.   I hope my HK friends will be as pleased as I am with the result.  Samples have been issued for taste testing purposes and orders are being compiled even as this is being posted.




Makes about 30

Ingredients

2 1/2 cup glutinous rice flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup warm water
6  oz red bean paste
2/3 cup white sesame seeds
Oil for frying

Method

1.   Mix sugar and warm water till dissolved.

2.   Add into glutinous rice flour in a large mixing bowl.  Knead the mixture  
      until thoroughly combined.

3.   Knead the dough into small balls and then roll each ball into a flat round
      shape. Spoon a bit of red bean paste into each flattened round as a
      stuffing  and knead the dough back into a round ball.




4.   Coat the balls with cold water, then cover thoroughly with the sesame 
       seeds.



5.    Over moderate heat, warm a pan of oil that is deep enough to cover the
       sesame balls. Reduce the heat after the oil is warmed up.

6.    Deep fry the sesame balls on a low heat until the balls have puffed up. 



7.    Flatten constantly with ladle.  Fry till golden. Drain on paper toweling.



No comments:

Post a Comment